Sunday, July 6, 2014

So how exactly does one do an Ironman after PBM?

So I've fielded this question a few times since signing up for the Ironman. Thought I would address it. 

Truth is - I've never done the Ironman so I don't really know the answer to that questions but here's what I've gathered so far.

#1: Yes - I already have informed my doctors of my desire to do the Ironman next May. They have Ok'ed me. I am not that stupid crazy. 


From what they have told me I will be on total exercise lockdown for at least 4 weeks after the first surgery. After that I will be cleared to start doing progressive exercise as cleared by my MD (mostly cardio - no weights or anything that involves major use/flexion of the chest muscles) so that works out for long distance training. 

The earliest I will be able to get implants is Oct. 15 (the tissue expanders have to be in for 3 months before they can put in implants in order for the pocket to best accommodate and support an implant). This is totally messing with my Baylor football attendance...but I digress. 

I'll be down for another 2-4 weeks after implants go in so I'll hopefully be for real cleared to work out as tolerated by mid-November. 

I'm also working with an Ironman coach and nutritionist through this process - I spoke with my coach a few weeks ago and our plan is to maintain as much basic mileage/stamina as I can through the surgical process with my structured, more intensive Ironman specific training starting between late November/early December. So right now I am IDEALLY riding 1-2x/week, running 2-3x/week, thinking about swimming 1-2x/week, and doing yoga and/or lifting weights 1-2x/week. Throw in a full time job, keeping up with the hubster and not completely disappearing from my amazing family and friends and this doesn't always happen but it's certainly something to shoot for. I'm already in mediocrely acceptable pretty good shape endurance-wise and I've done endurance running, cycling and triathlon-ing for a long time so that helps. 

Sooooo - that's the plan for now. Hopefully it will not end up with God laughing at me turn out ok. I have faith! Stay tuned kidlets...it's going to be an adventure!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are posting and answering even the unasked questions! Thanks for keeping me in the loop!!

    ReplyDelete