Monday, July 14, 2014

I'm still kickin'...I just can't kick high..

Isn't that a great saying? I heard it today and loved it. Thought it would be a great theme for this week. Today was a great day. So neat how the Lord totally puts people in your life at just the right moment. 

I started out today dropping my car off to be serviced before I headed to MDACC. The shuttle driver, Mr. Billy, was so great - reminded me of Morgan Freeman's grandfather. I just wanted him to tell me a story. 

When I got in the car and asked "How are you today?" I got a cheerful smile and "Well Ma'am - I'm still kickin' but I can't kick high. I'm thankful to kick though. 'Cause when you're not kickin' you got bigger problems." I decided he was my new favorite person as he shuttled me to my destination. 



I named today pre-op palooza as I had 5 pre-op appointments (again...way to go MDACC on the consecutive appointment scheduling. I was done with lab work x2, chest x ray, EKG, Breast surgery, consents and anesthesia all by 12:45). Everything went really well. And I got to catch up on more of the longest freaking book series ever but now I'm too far into it and have to finish it the 4th Game of Thrones book. 

Throughout my day today I encountered some really amazing people. Checking in at the breast center - a lady who went through my same procedure 4 years ago shared her story with me and was so sweet and encouraging. Then I sat down in the waiting area only to be greeted by my chair neighbor who is now 5 years in remission, had her double mastectomy last year and was now there for genetic testing. THEN I finished my appointments and was waiting for Mr Billy to come collect me and my chai tea latte and the lady sitting next to me had come all the way from Florida for the last 3 years to be treated with my same department team, had had her double mastectomy over a year ago and was also just so sweet and encouraging. As I stood up to go meet the car, she immediately wrapped her arms around my neck and said a short blessing for me. Warm fuzzies for sure. I love hugs. 



So today was a great day. I'm all set up for surgery tomorrow. I arrive at 10:00 am and surgery time is supposed to be noon. The mastectomy should take about 3 hours with the tissue expander insertion taking another 1-3 hours depending on how things go. They say it will be a 4-6 hour procedure then I'll be kept overnight. I'll check in with you guys tomorrow before go time but will probably take a break for a few days after. Hopefully I'll be back in blogging form by the end of the week or so but be patient with me! 


So here we go guys...see ya on the fake flip side! Keep Kickin'!

1 comment: