Sunday, June 29, 2014

I have a gene mutation...sooo I'm like an Xmen right??

Let's talk about what this BRCA 1 vs BRCA 2 mutation means. 

Here's a link to the NIH explanation of these gene mutations: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1247/

Those peeps are A LOT smarter than me...you should definitely take their word on it. 


But basically my take home message I got was that the BRCA gene suppresses tumors and cancer. There are two of these genes (very creatively named...1...and...wait for it....ya you got it....2. Thank you science for massively enhancing our creative spirit making it easy on us). I am positive for the BRCA 1 mutation. This mutation puts me at an very high risk (given this mutation+my strong family history of BC) of developing BC. I am also at an increased risk of ovarian cancer (for which surgical intervention is recommended later in life...like 40's...and I have no family history of ovarian cancer as far as I know so this is pretty low on the totem pole right now...whew). 

As I understand it the BRCA 2 mutation is more associated with alternate types of cancers and would be something bigger to worry about if I was a dude and at risk for prostate cancer. Once more reason to be thankful for that XX baby. Unfortunately, to my knowledge at least, the only super power it will endow on me is age defying "perkiness" for years to come. Thank you science. 


So basically I'm doing the regular recommended course of treatment for BRCA 1 positive peoples who have a family history of BC. I'm a good rule follower. You're welcome MD Anderson. Does that mean I get to go to that school for gifted olders youngsters now?? I'm sure I have something super cool I can do... does stalking the J Crew sale site for the absolute best discount or pinterest proficiency or supporting Baylor football YEARS before RGIII came along count as a super power? Methinks...yes. 

Speaking of MD Anderson Cancer Center... This is where I am having all my treatment/surgery/follow up. People - listen up (and I am not being paid to say this). They are the #1 cancer center for a reason. I live in Houston (have for nearly all my life) and have worked and/or had patient experiences in nearly every hospital system in the Texas Medical Center. And while I think the hospital I currently work for is awesome (but is not a cancer center of any kind) and have had good experiences throughout alternate hospital systems (what's up Memorial Hermann, Methodist, and St. Lukes) - MDACC has blown.me.away. My patient experience there has been really amazing. My care team communicates (!!) with each other, my appointments are grouped together usually on the same day so I don't have to come back on multiple days (and are usually on time) and my physicians and their support staff legitimately take their time with me and have always answered all my questions.  They have treating patients there down to a well oiled organized cogwheel science and it has been awesome. I only hope that my experience through my surgery and reconstruction continues to live up to the standard they have shown me through my surgery prep (which I fully expect they will). This is not to say that any other hospital system is bad at.all. - like I said I have had good experiences at other systems for various things - but I just had to give a shout out to MDACC. Way to go guys. 

It also doesn't hurt that they gift shop is AWESOME SAUCE and there's a freaking CHICK FIL A in the cafeteria. Boom. Watch out you glistening nuggets of glory - I'm coming for you after my 24 hours of nothing-by-mouth bullshtick. 

So there you go...a lot little bit of info about this in a nutshell. Hope you enjoy (or at least consider me super now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment