Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A new beginning and new adventures...

I don't really know how...but I'm going to go for it anyways...

This first one's a long one - hang with me. 

So for pretty much always I have thought - why start a blog? I am NOT a big enough deal for people to read my thoughts all the time. I still think that. 

HOWEVER...in January 2014, a year and a half after getting my original referral, I was tested for the BRCA gene at the MD Anderson Cancer Center (they have a whole center for genetic counseling). This is the gene linked with high incidence of hereditary breast (and ovarian) cancer. And I tested positive. To be clear - I DO NOT have cancer (thank you Lord) but testing positive for this genetic mutation gives me an 87% (so in my head might as well be 100%) chance of developing breast cancer. The recommendation for women with this genetic mutation is to either begin having regular mammograms or breast MRI's every 6 months until cancer shows up then treat it OR undergo a preventative bilateral mastectomy. I chose the latter. 

So July 15 I'll be heading into the lovely MD Anderson breast surgery center and undergoing a 2 stage preventative bilateral mastectomy. Along my preparation journey for this - I decided to do a little googling because I wanted to know about someone else's experience with this journey. Just a regular person - optimistically a younger someone who might have a story like me. Anybody want to guess how many recent journal, blogs or stories I found that were about and  written by just a regular person? ONE. 1. UNO. Yep - just one from 2011. The techniques and outcomes change a ton over time and no offense to Marie Claire, People magazine or queen of the free world Madame Jolie-Pitt but I wasn't really interested in reading about her experience with her fancy shmancy rodeo drive just-like-the-rest-of-us course. 

I just wanted a regular person's perspective. And I found...one. 
Thanks Ang.


Along with all this I am doing the IRONMAN. Yep...the whole thing...the entire enchilada...May 16, 2015. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and a full dang marathon. 

Yep - Lotsa life changes going on in our house this year. 

So...are there bigger and better and more important and bigger deals out there in the world...ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY. I am not out here to get attention or to be a drag or to make myself out to be any kind of big deal. But - if my journey can give someone else going through this process a little light on my experience or be some kind of resource to them - then it's totally worth it.  

On the other note...the Ironman is a big freaking deal. It's been a goal of mine for a long long time. Total bucket list item. I am totally terrified psyched for this experience. Aaaand I figured if I  can journal about it here then that's at least one more reason I will get.off.my.butt. and train.
inspiration everywhere people...

So there's going to be bike rides. There's going to be some new boobs. And as for the title...I think this might be my theme for this little dumpsite of my thoughts. Because in life...truly...I don't really know how...but I'm going to go for it anyways. 

So join me peeps. Should be a good ride! 

2 comments: