Thursday, June 26, 2014

I don't really know: how to set internet ground rules...but I'm gonna do it anyways

This is the internet right? Where whatever, whenever goes right? 

So can we set some ground rules? Can my posts get shorter as this goes on? (I hope so/that's my plan - but this one's not...still hang with me k?)

A few things that I thought about when thinking about starting this blog journey:

1. Some things you should know about me:

  • I am 29 turning 30 this next year.
  • I am married to an awesome, supportive husband who loves me    more than I deserve and is so SO supportive of this decision (both boobs and a year of REALLY long bike rides)
  • We have no kids and that's not on the horizon in the immediate future
  • I am very sarcastic
  • I like to create abbreviations...abbrevs...get used to it
  • I get super passionate and excited about whatever I am committed to. One of my best friends likes to call this my "fiercely loyal" side. But once I'm committed - I'm in. 110% baby. Get ready. 
  • I am a talker. I talk for a living. I am wordy. Despite this - putting this experience totally out there for the world to read is pretty out of my comfort zone. But if you never put yourself out of your comfort zone - what are you doing with your life? AMIRIGHT?


2. I want this to be an authentic, vulnerable record of this experience. Because of this:

  • Yes, we are going to kind of touchy feely at times...a lot of emotion, thought and prayer went into this decision (mostly boobs but also bike rides I suppose). If that freaks you out - check back in with me in November. We will talking much more about bike rides than boobs by that point ...k?

  • If you are reading this and are going through this journey - I am an open book. Feel free to leave a comment and if I can help or answer any question with my personal experience I will. 
  • Because I want this to be a resource to others going through this experience (again, mostly boobs, but also rookie, I'm-not-exactly-naturally-athletic-but-will-do-the-ironman-anyways too I suppose) - we will discuss some pretty intimate details of the process, my experience, my reconstruction and recovery.
    ** THIS IS NOT MEANT TO FREAK ANYONE OUT** 
    ** THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE SEXUAL IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM**
    
  • This is so someone might be able to read this and may take some comfort or information away from it. By nature of this process - things that I normally wouldn't talk to total strangers(or even people that are not the closest to me for that matter) is out there for the world. I'm ok with that. 
    • (sidenote: If you are a member of my family or friend - particularly one of the menfolk - please don't take this as me trying to give you a mental picture of my fake boobies or make this a conversation piece for our Thanksgiving table...and if you are...that's weird...we are just going to stop that conversation right.now. kthanks

3. **WARNING: BIT OF A SOAPBOX FOLLOWS** No I am not going to breastfeed if ever/whenever we have kids. So- if you are headed to your la leche league meeting just now and about to leave me a nastygram about that - please read below and just be nice (bc believe it or not I have already gotten some VERY unwanted comments and "advice" in this arena from lots of people...and while I know it was all well intended it's just not necessary). I am going to address this very shortly and probably not talk about it ever again so here'goes:
  • #1 - I have no children, I have no imaginary children, and I am not emotionally tied to the future possible breastfeeding of my future imaginary children at.all. 
  • I am a speech pathologist - I work in the NICU with preterm and ill infants. I work with babies and bottle feeding mommies and breast feeding mommies every.single.day. That being said, I am LITERALLY a licensed, professional bottle feeder.
  • I support breastfeeding - all you mommies that pump, and feed and provide for your baby this way - I applaud you. If you are my patient and this is your goal - I will do everything in my power to help that be a successful goal for you and your baby. You go girl (fo'reals - BF'ing is NO.JOKE. and if you make it happen - you get mad props from me)
  • BF'ing is not for everyone. This is it's own long story multi-volume highly controversial novella post. And honestly - I am QUITE relieved to not have to nurse my imaginary future children should that ever happen. That is me...my story...my preference...and I think that's ok. 
  • Can we all just agree to support one another and pat all those mommies on the back for just being awesome mommies - no matter how those kids get fed? CanIGetAnAmen?


               Totally Gretch...being nice is so fetch.

      Stay tuned...next post starts the journey to new boobtown!

1 comment:

  1. Hannah breast milk does not a mother make!! You are going to be awesome without ducts.

    ReplyDelete